Monday, March 16, 2009

'We're taking the TRAIN!'

Pardon the Big Bang Theory reference in the title, but that's exactly how I feel about our upcoming weekend. After four months here in Korea, we're finally making our first trip to Seoul, and (to quote Sheldon Cooper once again) 'we're taking the train!'

Now, this isn't just some 'scenic tour about the countryside' kind of train ride (which would have me excited enough as it is). No, this is a 'barreling down the tracks faster than your average NASCAR' kind of train ride, which offers a whole new category of excitement when it comes to over-land public transportation. In fact, if We were going to Seoul JUST for the chance to ride the high-speed train, I'd consider it a successful trip.

This trip, however, is actually for more than indulging my inner speed-demon. We're actually going to do some touristy stuff in Seoul, which also appeases my inner photographer, and hanging out with there with some friends for the weekend, too. Who knows? I might even get to indulge my inner geek by taking a walk around the famed electronics market (if I can convince three decidedly UNgeeky ladies that such a venture would be an efficient use of our time in the city).

All in all, though, I don't really know what to expect on this trip. It's really hard to know where to begin in a city of 14 million people, so I'm definitely glad we're travelling with experienced folk on this first voyage up north. Realistically, we could probably get by quite reasonably on our own, but it would likely take us a lot longer to do anything if we went with just a travel guide, a subway map and a pocket full of cheer. This way we can benefit from the experience of those who have gone before, of which I am always a strong proponent.

We'll keep you updated about how our voyage goes, and if you're following me on Twitter (or Facebook, even), I'll be giving more up-to-the-minute updates as often as I have a wifi connection.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the Big Bang Theory reference! That show is awesome! The episode with them on the train was so funny, as was last night's new episode!

That's great that you'll be taking your first trip to Seoul this weekend! How long is the high-speed train trip from Daejeon to Seoul? Doing touristy stuff and hanging out with your friends there sounds like lots of fun. And that's great that you have friends who've been there before to show you around!

Darrell said...

The trip takes just under an hour by KTX, where it would normally take three hours on the express bus.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Big Bang Theory, and it made me incredibly happy to see that you had made reference to them. Seriously, it's brilliant. I hope you have a great trip!